If you’re looking for something to do in South Carolina, you’re in luck. There’s always something going on, no matter which part of the state you find yourself in.
Below, we’ve added some of the largest and most popular cities to visit in South Carolina. By clicking on any of the individual links, you’ll find the best up and coming events in each city. From farmers markets and river rafting in the summer to oyster roasts and music events at the close of winter, there’s never a dull moment.
Below, we’ve listed the 5 most major cities in South Carolina and given a short description of each. If you’re planning on visiting South Carolina, this will give you a very basic overview of each city so that you have a better idea of which destination best suits your vacation needs. Whether you’re looking for hiking trips, beach excursions or a simple stroll down a beautiful, historic downtown, South Carolina has it.
- CHARLESTON, SC – Charleston is located on the coast of South Carolina. Between the low-country broils and the trendy music scene, Charleston will always provide a great time. This historic city also has a wonderful market where you can find local artists with everything from jewelry to hand-woven baskets.
- COLUMBIA, SC – Columbia is South Carolina’s state capitol. Among the historic district and government buildings downtown, you’ll also find wonderful locally owned restaurants. If you make it there during football season, be sure to check out the University of South Carolina’s season schedule. An SEC college football games is not something you want to miss. (Go Gamecocks!)
- GREENVILLE, SC – Greenville is one of South Carolina’s fastest growing cities. The downtown area is a great place to take the kids for a day of family fun. Enjoy the quaint downtown and fabulous restaurants. Also be sure to take a stroll over the pedestrian suspension bridge overlooking the beautiful waterfalls and Falls Park.
- HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC – Further south than Charleston, Hilton Head is an island located on the coast. This quiet island is the perfect getaway for those looking for a relaxing retreat at the beach. Everything here is tucked away so that you really feel as though you’re in your own private oasis.
- MYRTLE BEACH, SC – Myrtle Beach is a beach town that has a little bit of everything. If you’re looking for a more relaxing stay, head towards Cherry Grove on the north end where you can enjoy the serenity of the inlet. Otherwise, take a walk down the strip and enjoy the party! This is also the favorite spot for many Spring Breakers.